5 Things I Love About The Dog Spa
I’ve been raising dogs since 1996, and like a good human I’ve scouted Metro Manila for the best pet supply stores, grooming centers, and dog hotels (which was an alien concept in the Philippines back in the day). I go to Spot A for affordable dog food and supplies, Spot B for grooming, and Spot C for dog boarding.
During a trip to LA in 2001, I came across a dog hotel where you could do everything you need in one stop—dog grooming, health checkup, shopping, and boarding. I told myself that I’d put up a similar business when I got older, but I pursued journalism and performance arts instead.
Little did I know that two of my friends, James and Eric, had the same idea, which came to fruition in 2010. They put up The Dog Spa in Ortigas, Pasig, which gained over 16,000 Facebook fans in less than a year. They established two more locations in Cainta and Quezon City in 2011, and they are all marketed as the one-stop shop for all your dog needs—shopping, grooming, dogsitting, and boarding. They also cater to cats.
On Saturday I was invited to the opening of their fourth and newest location in Parañaque. It was a fun-filled day of interacting with fellow dog lovers, most of whom brought in their scruffy pals for a much needed grooming. I also shopped for supplies for my pack of seven, but I really didn’t need to buy a lot because The Dog Spa handed out swag bags to their customers that day.
I brought home products from their generous sponsors—Smart Heart, Vitality, Animal Planet Nature’s Plan, Daily Green Enterprises, Papi Soap, Powerbone, and Royal Canin. Needless to say, my dogs and cat were quite happy with the loot I brought home.
Before you check out my gallery of their new Parañaque spot, read my top 5 reasons why I love The Dog Spa and Hotel.
1. They support animal rights. They hold fund-raising projects for animals rights groups. They teach people about proper dog care and pet etiquette through their Facebook page. They don’t discriminate against aspins or mixed breeds; in fact, they promote the adoption of rescue dogs and abhor puppy mills.
2. It’s not as expensive as you think. Their name may sound luxurious, but their price tags are more affordable than most of the popular dog supply shops around Metro Manila.
3. They interact with their customers 24/7. With over 26,000 “likes” on Facebook, they make sure they answer every single query posted on their wall.
4. They give out a lot of freebies. The have monthly Facebook contests with gift packs and dog spa services as prizes. They hold free events such as dog training and socialization classes. They give away product samplers every now and then.
5. They know dog psychology. They light lemongrass oils in their stores because it’s a scent that calms dogs down. They hire groomers with at least five years worth of experience to ensure that they can handle every dog size, breed, and temperament.
Visit The Dog Spa and Hotel in the following locations in the Philippines:
1. G/F Prince Arcade Building, Baranggay Rosario, Ortigas Avenue Extension, Pasig City
+632-655-0158, +63929-531-5479, +632-477-6896
2. G/F 187 Village Center, E. Rodriguez Jr. Avenue (Acropolis) Libis, Bagumbayan, Quezon City
3. G/F Promenade Level Q, Plaza Commercial Complex, Marcos Highway corner Imelda Avenue, Cainta
4. A. Aguirre Avenue corner J. Elizalde St., BF Homes Parañaque City
The Dog Spa and Hotel Parañaque is giving out free dog food, treats, and grooming supplies to their loyal patrons and new clients. Just shop or get grooming services anytime this month to get the freebies. Offer good while supplies last.
Does your dog need a Cesar Milan-type of intervention? Join the free dog training and socialization class on June 17, 2012, Sunday, 10 a.m. at Mercato Centrale, Taguig.
May 22, 2012