Donate Your Hair to Cancer Patients

I came across this sign at Makati Medical Center last week:

donatehair2

I’ve heard of programs like Locks of Love in the United States and Canada, but this is my first time to come across a Philippine version. I called the hotline for more info.

Unfortunately, my type of hair isn’t qualified for donation, but I’d like to spread the word to other interested individuals.

What: Gift of Your Hair 2016
When: April 27, 2016, Wednesday
Time: 12nn – 4 p.m.
Where: 8/F Auditorium A, Tower 2, Makati Medical City
Things to remember: Come with clean hair. Do not apply any hair products. A volunteer from David’s Salon will cut your hair. For questions, call Makati Med’s Cancer Center at (+632) 8888-999 loc. 7122.

Types of hair accepted:
1. 8 inches or more
2. Uncolored hair is preferred, but if you’ve colored your hair, make sure it’s only one shade.
3. Straight or wavy hair
4. Rebonded, straightened hair is okay.

Not accepted:
1. Colored hair with highlights or multiple shades
2. Bleached hair
3. Permed hair
4. Naturally curly or kinky hair
5. Hair shorter than 8 inches

Spread the word, dear readers!

Featured photo copyright: yuliya29 / 123RF Stock Photo

Update:
The event is over, but you may call Makati Med’s Cancer Center at (+632) 8888-999 loc. 7122 for inquiries about hair donation in the Philippines.

18 Comments

1. Sandrah Araja wrote:

I have a long hair, dapat idodonate ko din yung buhok ko dun sa mall na nadaanan ko, nakakalungkot lang kasi willing pa naman ako magdonate kaso di daw qualified yung buhok ko kasi ang dami nang patong ng hair color at puro split ends.

2. Jessa wrote:

Hmm I dunno if we have something like that here in Davao. I wanna donate though but I’m not sure if they’ll accept my dry curly hair.

3. Rhen E. wrote:

I’ve heard of a salon brand doing a charity event like this annually. I’ve always wanted to donate pero matagal humaba ng buhok ko. 🙁

4. Gailaaaaaaa wrote:

I can def drop by! Thank goodness its my rest day at work. I came across an ad somewhere that papermelroti does this also and donates to I guess a factory who makes wigs if I’m not mistaken but it wasnt really clear but this one isdef worth donating! I have been keeping my hair for running 4years now (dyed with the same color, had occasional salon treatments, I also have my weekly treatments at home, curled) so you can imagine how long it is. If the stylist would say its been damaged for too much use of curling wands atleast its worth the try and I’ll have a happy heart! I’ll let you know Ms. Kate?

5. Cath wrote:

Had to share this! I was planning to cut my hair short kasi super init po lalo na po ngayong summer, ngayon po may mas malalim na reason na ako para magpa-cut ng hair. Thanks to this post ate kate. Will try my to bring my friends with me, baka bet din nila. More hair, the more we share. ???❤

6. I want to donate but m hair is not long enough. 🙁 maybe some other time! But i think my sister can super long haired siya and never nagpakulay at nagparebond/nagparelax

7. mrs.abc wrote:

Hi Kate! Sayang hindi din ako pwede magdonate. Naturally curly din kase buhok ko.
    I love your CurlPower page since hindi din kase ako madalas makakita ng posts/blogs about embracing curly hair.
    Would it be okay na i-link kita sa blog ko? Thanks!

8. kim wrote:

I have a naturally wavy and colored hair with highlights so I would not be able to donate any hair. But what i can definitely do is offer my service as a nurse. I hope they have another program like this so that I can also share this information with my friends and family.

9. Lea wrote:

do they have activities again like this? i would love to participate. hoping for updates 🙂 thank you!

• Kate wrote:

Hi, Lea! Please try calling the number I listed above to see if Makati Med will be holding one soon. So far I have no news, but yes, it would be great if the Philippines had something like Locks of Love regularly. 🙂

10. May Manglo wrote:

Hi Kate,

Good day!

Just to ask if there’d be upcoming event or activity where I could donate my long hair? And perhaps, I would get n touch with MMC about it as well.

Hope to hear from you.

Thanks,

May 🙂

• Kate wrote:

Hi, May. I haven’t heard of any new hair donation activities yet. But if you get any updates from MMC, please let me know, as many of my readers are also asking. Thank you!

11. Ara wrote:

Hi Kate. I’ve been searching for an institution or center where we can donate the hair of my daughter. She’s turning 8 and only had a haircut once. She’s up for her 2nd haircut and wants it to be donated instead to cancer patients. She wants to help on her own little way. I am super proud of her 🙂

We went to Papemelroti last night but they said that they’ve suspended their works in accepting hair donations. I havent called Makati Med though. If you heard anything from any group, please let me know. Super thanks!

• Kate wrote:

Hi, Ara. That’s so kind of your daughter! 🙂 I was actually at Makati Med recently and haven’t seen any new posters of hair donation yet.

12. Michelle wrote:

Hoping there’ll be one soon! Will be keeping my hair for the meantime.