[Video] Talim Island Fiesta: Ocean Olympics Come to Life

This is one Philippine fiesta that isn’t well documented or written about. And I’m glad. It keeps the essence of the celebration in its pure form, untainted by commercialization. The Talim Island fiesta, particularly in Brgy. Habagatan, is held every October 3-4.

Guests from neighboring barangays (barrios), as well as friends and family from Laguna and other parts of the Philippines, flock to Talim Island for this annual celebration. I was fortunate to be part of it last year, but it took me a while to create this video. I hope that by watching it, you’ll get to experience the uniqueness of their water revelry.

11 Comments

1. Sandrah Araja wrote:

Eto yata yung fiesta na sobrang unique! ? Fiesta na may halong adventure. ❤ Ang sarap talagang makipyesta sa mga probinsya. Yung culture and traditions nandun pa din. ❤ nice vid anyway!

2. Cath Reyes wrote:

The love of the Filipino to its culture and tradition always give exceptional happiness to its community even to the other barangays/barrios and also to the travellers during their fiest celebration. It is one of the happenings here in the Philippines that every Filipino should be proud of.

3. Steffi G wrote:

Gosh how cool!!! I cringe! Really love the feels of your blog Miss Kate since everyone’s blogging about makeup, so rare finding this kind of blog it’s sure for safe keeping and Im loving it!!!!

4. Rhen E. wrote:

This reminds me of Libad Festival in Calumpit Bulacan. It also has the same throwing of buckets of water and candies, statues are put into the boat to circle the whole Calumpit River,and people dancing with their colorful dresses. I guess wherever fiesta in the Philippines you go, it will always be fun! It’s one of the many things we are known for. Like what the DOT says, “It’s more fun in the Philippines!”

And oh, the song you used in the video! It’s from the #BeMoreBarrio Movement article you wrote before. I still have the Boyce Avenue cover on my playlist! 🙂

5. Jeremy Garcia wrote:

Thanks for sharing a video. Had so much fun watching it:) nakakagoodvibes ang energy at saya ng mga tao sa fiesta nila. Para ngang water olympics yung first part ng video. Hehe.Sarap ng experience makifiesta sa kanila:) Dito rin sa amin masaya ang fiesta. Naniniwala din kami na when it rains its a sign of blessing para sa fluvial procession dito sa amin:D

6. Apin C wrote:

Hello, Kate!
    Wow! Very touching! Naging emotional tuloy ako at napaiyak sa iyong artikulong ito dahilan sa naisip ko lang ang aking mga yumaong magulang at mga kapatid ng aming pagsasama dito sa nayon ng Talim sa gitna ng aming kahirapan, mga pagmamahal ng aking mga pamangkin at kanayon at kanilang hirap sa pakikibaka araw-araw upang sila ay mabuhay at pasasalamat na rin sa Diyos sapagka’t sila ang aking naging inspirasyon at sandigan upang maging matatag sa mga hamon sa buhay. Isa silang dahilan upang ako ay maging ako. Kaya naman sa abot ng aking maliit na kakayanan ay patuloy akong tmutulong sa kanila. Maraming, maraming salamat sa pagpapahalaga mo sa aming nayon ng Talim, kanayon at aming kapistahan sa pamamagitan ng iyong well-crafted video presentation and articulated narrative.
    Kami ng ate Fe ay nasa mabuting kalagayan at laging nagpapasalamat sa Diyos sa aming mga maliligayang sandali ng buhay araw-araw.
    God’s blessing sa iyo, loving mommy Nani, sister Karen and wonderful family!
    *In case na gusto mong mamiesta or anytime/date na bumisita sa Talim, you may contact tita Fe to make arrangement with Baby, my niece. One thing, meron ng built-in air con ang guest room :-).
    Tita Fe and I love you, Kate.
    Tito “Apin”

7. Jessa wrote:

Wow! So cool! We can really see that Filipinos know how to have fun! Thanks for sharing this. I didn’t know that we have a fiesta like this in the Philippines. I really need to get out more hehe.

Have you been to Davao? We also have a fun Kadayawan festival every August 🙂

8. I first saw this on your youtube channel! 🙂 thank you for bringing us with you!!

9. Brenda wrote:

I have so many post to catch up.. Been busy awhile, but happy to be back Again. I like this water revelry, seem exciting tho. 🙂