I’m Sick. Can I Still Wear Makeup?
The short answer: No. The last thing you want is to contaminate your precious makeup with your germs and shorten their lifespan.
But whenever I look back at my 2014 New York album, I would cringe at the sight of my puffy face and crusty nose. I was sick with the flu and didn’t bother to slather anything on while forcing myself to make most of my last few days of vacation.
So let me paraphrase my answer: If you’re just staying home, keep your germy, sneezing self away from the makeup. But if you’re sick on the go (ex. in the middle of traveling or fulfilling duties that cannot be ditched), a little makeup can help you look decent. Here’s how.
1. Use tinted moisturizer or double letter makeup. Thick foundation or powder isn’t a good idea, but tinted moisturizer or BB cream can hide the redness and puffiness without further drying your skin. Make sure your hands are clean before touching the bottle.
2. Don’t apply anything directly to your face, especially your lips and eye area, because the germs from your bodily fluids will contaminate the entire container. Instead, use a disposable applicator, sponge, or cotton bud to apply lipstick, gloss, and other liquid, creamy, or gel makeup.
3. Avoid complicated eyeshadow looks because your eyes will get runny anyway. If you really must do eye makeup, just curl your lashes and apply 1-2 coats of waterproof mascara. Instead of applying the built-in wand directly, scrape some mascara and apply it on an angled brush, fan brush, or disposable mascara wand before lightly dusting it on your lashes.
4. Go for peach or light pink blush. Apply some on the apples of your cheeks for a healthy flush.
5. Keep your eyebrows on fleek. Since you’ll be constantly blowing your nose throughout the day, your eyebrow makeup is probably the only one that will last, so make sure it looks great.
Benefit Cosmetics 1/F Central Square, Bonifacio High Street; 1/F Greenbelt 5, Makati; (02) 729-9854; 3/F TriNoma Mall; Rustan’s Makati; Shangri-La Plaza; Mall of Asia; benefitcosmetics.com; facebook.com/benefitcosmetics; facebook.com/benefitcosmeticsphilippines
Céleteque Available at Watson’s, SM Department Stores, Landmark, Mercury Drug, Robinson’s Department Stores, PCX, Shopwise, and Rustan’s; celetequedermoscience.com; facebook.com/Celeteque
L’Oréal Paris Available at all leading groceries, beauty hubs, and department stores nationwide; lorealparis.com; lorealparisexclusif.ph; lorealparis.com.ph; facebook.com/LOrealParisPhilippines
Nippon Esthetic Philippines Click here for a list of stores; nipponesthetic.com; facebook.com/NipponEstheticPhilippines
Pink Sugar Available at SM Aura, SM Makati, SM Marilao, SM Manila, SM Fairview, SM MOA, SM Clark, SM Lanang Premier Davao, and Watsons Ayala Center Cebu; pinksugar.com.ph; facebook.com/pinksugarph
Revlon Available at all leading department stores nationwide, revlon.com; facebook.com/Revlon; facebook.com/RevlonPhilippines
Suesh Click here for a list of stores; suesh.com; facebook.com/sueshmakeuptoolkit
The Face Shop Click here for a list of stores; thefaceshop.com; facebook.com/ThefaceshopPhilippines
October 11, 2016