Non-Beer-Drinker’s Guide to Brewfest MNL
Disclaimer: People say that beer is an acquired taste, but it’s been over a decade of trial and error, and I haven’t acquired the passion for it. I drink 2 bottles of beer in a party, tops. But my friends are beer drinkers and I found myself at day 2 of Brewfest MNL last night.
Tips from this non-drinker:
1. Start with ₱500. After paying the entrance fee of ₱150, they’ll give you a customized debit card, where you can load as much money as you want, depending on how much you plan to spend at the Brewfest. I suggest you start at ₱500, and just reload throughout the night. Remember that you cannot get a refund of whatever amount is left in the card when you leave. But you will get ₱50 back returning the card in one piece, so technically the entrance fee is just ₱100.
2. Wear light clothes. Even if the venue at the fourth floor of Century City Mall Makati is air-conditioned, it gets packed and humid.
3. Get the Brew List. It’s a checklist of all the local beers available at the event. If your goal is to tick every item on the list, go for it! Note that this festival features only Philippine-made brews.
4. Eavesdrop. According to my beer-drinking buddies, some beers are way better than the others, so it’s best to ask around to see which beers are worth buying.
5. Go on a food trip. When your tolerance for alcohol is low like me, go on a food trip instead. You’ll find lots of greasy eats around the venue.
6. Play. There’s a foosball table for the kids and kids at heart. Yes, children are actually allowed inside, as long as mommy and daddy keep them from chugging beer. There’s also live music from acoustic performers. Go to Pedro Brewcrafters and order the sampler set. They’ll serve four plastic cups on an interactive cardboard box, where you can place your iPhone flashlight to turn the set into something trippy and hipster. Your drunk friends will love it.
7. Come early if you want a table. It gets super packed at night, so it’s best to arrive before the 7 p.m. peak if you want to get a table.
Last day is today and doors open at 3 p.m. Don’t forget to tag #BrewfestMNL when posting on Instagram. Let me know if any of you get to tick everything off the Brew List.